A business simulation is a powerful tool for organisational learning and development. Business simulations enable your people to align your people on strategy, improve their business acumen and business finance skills, and ultimately improve your bottom line.
Why use a business simulation as part of your sustainability engagement?
Business simulations offer a hands-on, interactive learning experience that allows participants to truly engage in the material. Instead of focusing on theoretical knowledge like in a typical classroom, participants build skills, improve conceptual knowledge, and gain a big-picture view of the organisation all at once.
There are many benefits to using business simulations in your company, including:
- Imitates Reality. Our simulations emulate the real-world factors and challenges that your organisation faces. Give your people a big-picture view of operations by scaling everything down to a smaller scale.
- Risk-free environment. Your people will be able to learn from their mistakes in a safe environment and see the consequences of their actions across the whole organisation – without actually affecting your organisation.
- Stimulates co-operation. Working in cross-functional teams stimulates conversation and cooperation between colleagues. These conversations create peer-to-peer learning opportunities and open up your people to better understand the different perspectives in your organisation.
- Learning by doing. It is said that we remember 10% of what we read, 20% of what we hear, 70% of what we discuss with others, and 80% of our personal experiences. A business simulation allows your people to personally experience the consequences of all the different aspects of a business.
- Engages learners. Experiential, hands-on learning engages all the senses. Participants visualise, discuss, plan, receive feedback, and practice real techniques that they will use in the workplace.
- Accelerated learning. A simulation provides a big-picture view of operations, meaning that participants can grasp a wide range of concepts and materials in a short period of time. By relating their new learnings back to their own company, stickiness increases and the knowledge follows back to the workplace.
How can a world-class business simulation support you in your sustainability transformation?
The right business simulation, coupled with thoughtful facilitation and interactive debriefing sessions, allows participants to discover how a company can be profitable and sustainable.
By grouping participants in teams and getting them to work out how to drive a sustainability transformation for a fictitious company to achieve success across a “Triple Bottom Line” of People, Planet and Profit, we offer a fast-track learning experience that allows participants to:
- Learn to assess a company’s performance today by discovering the scope, people and measures that define sustainability
- Act as advisors to a fictional company that is focusing on its sustainability performance transformation in a simulated environment
- Learn together through the simulation feedback, each other’s experiences and facilitator debrief
- Understand the challenges that real-life companies, including their own, face when trying to balance a triple bottom line
- Become more aware of the views, values, and capabilities of fellow participants – who are often fellow employees or team members
- Start to think critically about their role in their company and what changes they can make to support a company’s sustainability transition.
In short, a gamified approach to understanding sustainability can be fun, engaging, informative, and unforgettable – with real-world applications.
Why opt for another boring lecture, dry speeches and a list of consulting “you shoulds” when you can kick-start your sustainability transformation with a completely different – and arguably very effective – approach?